Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My date with a pig-out

Thanksgiving is only 8 days away, so let's talk about dessert! First, though, I must qualify the previous post about our weight loss challenge by saying this: It is my intention to eat everything in sight on Thanksgiving. This is not an exaggeration, and I'm really excited about it.

I found this recipe (and the picture, too) on the Food Network website. It's by Paula Deen, which means it's bound to be yummy. It will also be astronomically high in calories and fat, but for me that's the very definition of a Thanksgiving dessert, so I don't mind a bit.

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle

2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
1 (5.1-ounce) box cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely. Prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of gingerbread into the bottom of a large bowl. Pour half of the pudding mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle can be layered in a punch bowl.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Mmmm, that looks just wonderful. Tell me how I can make this for 25 people and transport it...that's all I ask...

Hilary said...

A - The Food Network says it serves 20, so maybe you could just add in some whipped cream or more gingerbread for the extra 5 :) As for the transport, I think we'll just put it in a cooler with ice & hope it doesn't get tossed around too much.

Troy and Beth said...

This looks amazing! Can't wait for the true taste test panel! :)