Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Catastrophe!

I am very sorry to announce that I have found myself in the middle of a big, bad exercise slump. Somewhere along the line, my will for lunges & squats, crunches & bicep curls has been quietly, although very thoroughly, sucked clean away. I don't want run; I don't want to walk; I can't even find any of my usual delight in the 5000 exercise DVDs that are only a click away via the wonder of the online library card catalog. It makes me sad to think of the muscle tone that is surely slipping away even as I type, but still, I DON'T WANT TO DO ANYTHING. To combat my predicament, I have cut out my incredibly foolish habit of very late night snacks (well, meals, really) and I am currently in the midst of a sugar fast, which is somewhat difficult owing to the sugar cookies in the bread drawer, the copius amounts of Halloween candy in the cupboard, the pan of gingerbread on top of the refrigerator, and the carob-mint ice cream in the freezer (stop gagging, it's very tasty). I suppose I could console myself with the knowledge that I am not stuffing myself full of desserts in response to being a lazy sloth (it's happened before), but really, something has to give, and soon. The consequences of an inactive me for more than a few weeks are NOT GOOD. That being said, I am putting out an all-points-bulletin for good exercise ideas - things that you love to do, things that make you want to put on your sweatbands and leg warmers and get physical. Help me claw my way out of the dark pit that is this exercise funk! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!

7 comments:

Jan Michael said...

i enjoy lifting weights, you might too

Derek said...

hill sprints. super good exercise in a super short time. I gotta get back to doing them. Easy on the knees and man watta workout.

YOu have a perfect one about 5 steps from your front door...

Unknown said...

I found that instead of sitting down, watching TV and eating nachos I could stand up, hula-hoop, watch TV and eat nachos. Kristin has a heavy aerobic hula-hoop that gives you a pretty good workout. Plus, nachos are awesome.

Derek said...

^
^
^
^
haha this is a great mental image. I have to call BS though without photographic proof.....

Amanda said...

I know, I know! This fall, cold weather thing is NOT nice to the runner in me either. I'm just going because my hubby says...Okay, you can go now~ and I think "this is my ONLY chance". Ideas...

go buy yourself something motivating. Warm running clothes, good shoes. New music. Something that helps get you out the door.

Also, I started borrowing the neighbor's dog to run with. I feel safer, and now I feel obligated to go...gotta get that doggie some excersize too!

Good luck to you~

Jeff & Aleigh said...

I wish I had some advice for you, but I workout at work and my sister works there too and she's a Workout NAZI!! She would workout 24/7/365 if she could, so she doesn't let me miss any days!! It's probably a good thing I have her though!! :o) I hope you find something that works for you soon and helps you get out that door!! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

I know, I'll come up and we can work out together! Or, join the YMCA--that's what motivates me. Intense group exercise classes are addicting!