Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Rain & running

Tonight we are having our first fall thunder & lightning & downpour extravaganza, and I love it. I love the summer, too, but there's something so cozy about fall & cold weather & even lots of rain. I think it's amazing how God made and timed the seasons so that they all meld perfectly into one another.

On the exercise front, we've started running at the high school track. We had to pay $10 to rent a key for the year, and it's well worth it, considering the pounding we avoid on our poor, growing-older-by-the-minute knees. Tonight we ran one mile and then did sprint intervals for 3/4 of a mile, and then jogged a lap to finish it out. Jan Michael is the boss when it comes to plans like this, because I would not normally subject myself to something as difficult (for me) as sprinting. However....

"I like running because it's a challenge. If you run hard, there's the pain - and you've got to work your way through the pain. You know, lately it seems all you hear is 'Don't overdo it' and 'Don't push yourself.' Well, I think that's a lot of bull. If you push the human body, it will respond."
- Bob Clarke, Philadelphia Flyers general manager, NHL Hall of Fame.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you kids! Keep up the good work
Love, Mimi & Grandpa

Amanda said...

LOVE running myself, and it pays off quickly, it's so great to take the stairs and NOT be winded. :) Enjoying the fall weather myself, love it! Favorite season, all there with you about sweaters and pumpkin pie!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you- well with the changing seasons bit. I turn my nose up at running ;)

Anonymous said...

proud of you! I hate running...hack hack wheeze wheeze! :) Fall is my all time favorite season! Glad it is fast approaching!