Yikes! What a rotten job I've done with sharing the good things! It's not the finding of them that's hard; it's sitting still long enough to type them out!
On Saturday morning I exhibited behavior that would not be found on any list of good things at any time or in any place. Jan Michael is under the weather - still! STILL!! - and just when we were set to drive south for a weekend of crazy fun with our family (a yard work party! a barbeque! cheesecake! togetherness!), his sore throat took a turn for the worse and he decided to stay home. So, the first good thing about Saturday is my husband's storehouse of patience and tolerance in the face of a wife who, at nearly 36 years old, can throw an award-winning tantrum. I find that the line between childlike and childish is very easily crossed sometimes...
Before I hopped in the car for the long, lonely ride south, sans husband, we took this lovely family portrait. I think it captures the sick (him) and the petulant (me) quite nicely:
The second good thing about Saturday was the meatloaf sandwich I ate while sitting on my parents' living room floor. It had plenty of ketchup and a huge side of Doritos, and while I my temper about Jan Michael's on-going crud had dissipated, I was cranky about just being stuck behind the world's longest and slowest- moving train when I desperately had to go to the bathroom because I'd fueled my long, lonely drive south with a Coke Zero. So, I told my parents my tale of woe while I ate their food, and I felt better. My Mama makes a really good meatloaf :)
Things began looking up in terms of my attitude shortly after that, and the good things (which are always there, but sometimes a rain cloud of a mood does a good job of hiding them!) started to pile up:
- My new friend Carlos, who is 5 (almost 6!), loves Monopoly and gets the best mischievous look in his big, brown eyes
- An almond oil facial with the mother-of-my-heart, which we chased with a splash of rose petal witch hazel
- A last-minute, late-night trip to the grocery store with the sister-of-my-heart because Sunday morning french toast needs french bread! :)
- This text from Jan Michael: 'I'm eating corn dogs and thinking of you'
On Sunday, I was flooded with good things, among them:
- A mason jar mug from the father-of-my-heart. It's maybe too much to explain here, but the gift paired with the giver is so special to my heart.
- An encouraging Sunday morning fellowship meeting
- A better-late-than-never birthday barbeque for our Dad, which included our most awesome Uncle Willie, who was just cleared to drive on his own after a stroke in March
- Serious discussion about our Mama-and-sis weekend at Seabrook, just 3 1/2 weeks away!
- The weather! So sunny and warm that part of the afternoon was spent lolling around on the patio
- A happy reunion with my Jan Michael, whose throat was sore but whose spirits were high
Yesterday and today's edition coming tonight!
Father's Day Picture
1 day ago