Thursday, December 01, 2011

Three good things

I've been cross and out of sorts lately; it's ridiculous and unfounded.

To combat such rubbish, I'm invoking the find-at-least-3-good-things-everyday rule, taught to me years ago by my wise Mama. I am going to be very deliberate about it, and by it I'm going to whip myself into shape.


1. Foggy, gray December days -
They help me to be quiet, somehow.


2. This, overheard at the grocery store -

Little boy: Knock, knock!
Mom: Who's there?
Little boy: Toilet!
Mom: Don't say it! Don't you say it!! (This seemed too-little-too-late, as he'd already answered the knock, so to speak. Besides, I think it only fueled the fire for what came next, spoken with great conviction...)
Little Boy: Toi-let!!

I laughed all the way down the coffee aisle :)


3. Every year I buy a silly, cheap Advent calendar; it's my first Christmas present to Jan Michael. I'm always excited to give it, and he's always happy to get it, and of our little Christmas traditions, it's one of my favorites.



4. Psalm 139. The whole thing is wonderful, but for now, just the first few verses:

1 O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.
2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.
5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

No comments: